Are You an Adult Indigo?
Yes, You can be an adult Indigo. They did not JUST start coming in now,
the numbers have just been increasing more and more til there are so
many we finally can not ignore them. Yeay!!! Are you an adult Indigo?
Please note, I (Wendy Chapman) am the first person to publish anything
about indigo adults. Everything else I had heard or read prior to 2001
said that indigo children started in the late 70s and early 80s. I
received thousands of emails in 1999 and 2000 from people who claimed
to be adult indigo children. These people were over 25, and mostly
over 30 years old, and had very similar characteristics to indigo
children, plus or minus a few. The differences to indigo children were
reliably coming up in nearly every letter. I collated this data and
came up with a list of indigo adult characteristics, published here in
Feb. 2001. The list has born the test of time, with tens of thousands
more people recognizing themselves and writing to me. I am very glad
to have made this contribution to the world!
Many indigos seem to find solace in finally knowing why they are
different from the general population and in knowing they are not
completely alone. I began the indigo adults mailing list on
yahoogroups in April 2001, which now in 2005 has over 2100 members and
the indigo-adults-moderated (on topic) list, which has over 700
members. Follow the links at the bottom of the page to join either of
these. These lists are virtual communities for indigo adults. I
am writing a book about indigo adults to help spread the word to reach
Indigo Adult Characteristics
- Are intelligent, though may not have had top grades.
- Are very creative and enjoy making things.
- Always need to know WHY, especially why they are being asked to do
- Had disgust and perhaps loathing for much of the
required and repetitious work in school.
- Were rebellious in school in that they refused to do homework and rejected
authority of teachers, OR seriously wanted to rebel, but didn't DARE,
usually due to parental pressure.
- May have experienced early existential depression and feelings of
helplessness. These may have ranged from sadness to utter
despair. Suicidal feelings while still in high school or younger are not uncommon in the Indigo Adult.
- Have difficulty in service-oriented jobs. Indigos resist authority and
caste system of employment.
- Prefer leadership positions or working alone to team positions.
- Have deep empathy for others, yet an intolerance of stupidity.
- May be extremely emotionally sensitive including crying at the drop of a hat
(no shielding) Or may be the opposite and show no expression of emotion (full shielding).
- May have trouble with RAGE.
- Have trouble with systems they consider broken or ineffective, ie.
political, educational, medical, and legal.
- Alienation from or anger with politics - feeling your voice won't
count and/or that the outcome really doesn't mattter.
- Frustration with or rejection of the traditional American dream -
9-5 career, marriage, 2.5 children, house with white picket fence, etc.
- Anger at rights being taken away, fear and/or fury at "Big Brother
- Have a burning desire to do something to change and
improve the world. May be stymied what to do. May have trouble
identifying their path.
- Have psychic or spiritual interest appear fairly young - in or before teen
- Had few if any Indigo role models. Having had some doesn't mean
you're not an indigo, though.
- Have strong intuition.
- Random behavior pattern or mind style - (symptoms of Attention Deficit
Disorder). May have trouble focusing on assigned tasks, may jump around in conversations.
- Have had psychic experiences, such as premonitions, seeing angels or
ghosts, out of body experiences, hearing voices.
- May be electrically sensitive such as watches not working and
street lights going out as you move under them, electrical equipment
malfunctioning and lights blowing out.
- May have awareness of other dimensions and parallel realities.
- Sexually are very expressive and inventive OR may reject sexuality
in boredom or with intention of achieving higher spiritual connection.
May explore alternative types of sexuality.
- Seek meaning to their life and understanding about the world
May seek this through religion or spirituality, spiritual groups and
books, self-help groups and books.
- When they find balance they may become very strong, healthy, happy
Please note, anyone could have a few of these traits, but Indigo Adults have most
or all of these 25 characteristics.
I am open to input about other indigo adult characteristics. Please write me if
you would like to make suggestions for this list. I welcome your input!
If you would like to reference this list of indigo adults
characteristics on any published source, I would really appreciate it
if you wrote me at firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission. The following is the correct
way to reference this article:
Chapman, W. (2001). Are you an indigo adult? Metagifted
Education Resource Organization, www.metagifted.org. Retrieved
March 23, 2018
, from http://www.metagifted.org/topics/metagifted/indigo/adultIndigos/areYouAnAdultIndigo.html.
I created a mailing list for Adult Indigos. This is how you can get
connected with other Adult Indigos ;)
To join the group, use the form above or send an email to
I also run another more focused on-topic moderated indigo-adults
list. To join that one please send an email to email@example.com.
NEXT "Ok, so I'm an Indigo, Now What?"
BACK TO INDIGO INDEX
© 1998-2018 Wendy Chapman